The greatest words ever spoken
Boethiusman
A person

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 10
Total Posts: 15
#31 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 18, 2007 - 1:51 PM:

I posted this question on another site I'm involved in, http://www.gnn.tv/B24629 , people have some pretty good things on this thread as well.
stay_in_school

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 8
#32 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 18, 2007 - 6:31 PM:

To see ourselves as others see us is a most salutary gift. Hardly less important is the capacity to see others as they see themselves. - Huxley

What do you think I'd see, If I could walk away from me. - Lou Reed

The grand highway
is
crowded
with
lovers
&
searchers
&
leavers
so
eager
to
please
&
forget.
-Jim Morrison
Mike H

Total Topics: 10
Total Posts: 2
#33 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Aug 20, 2007 - 6:26 PM:

I have a whole collection of these:

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. - Einstein

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death" - anonymous?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god. - Aristotle

If throughout your life you abstain from murder, theft, fornication, perjury, blasphemy, and disrespect toward your parents, church, and your king, you are conventionally held to deserve moral admiration even if you have never done a single kind, generous or useful action. This very inadequate notion of virtue is an outcome of taboo morality, and has done untold harm. - Bertrand Russell

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - bertrand russell

What you are is what you have been, and what you will be is what you do now - Buddha

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha?

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. - Carl Sagan

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. - George Orwell

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. - HL Mencken

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. - HL Mencken

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an institution? - HL Mencken

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - HL Mencken

And what is a good citizen? Simply one who never says, does or thinks anything that is unusual. Schools are maintained in order to bring this uniformity up to the highest possible point. A school is a hopper into which children are heaved while they are still young and tender; therein they are pressed into certain standard shapes and covered from head to heels with official rubber-stamps. - HL Mencken

The worst government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression. - HL Mencken

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. - HL Mencken

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - HL Mencken (July 26, 1920)

"Those who cavalierly reject the Theory of Evolution, as not adequately supported by facts, seem quite to forget that their own theory is supported by no facts at all." - Herbert Spencer

The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. - JM Keynes

No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. - JS Mill

If some great catastrophe is not announced every morning, we feel a certain void. Nothing in the paper today, we sigh. - Lord Acton

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Nietzsche

Digressions, objections, delight in mockery, carefree mistrust are signs of health; everything unconditional belongs in pathology. - Nietzsche

At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.-Nietzsche

Faith: not wanting to know what is true. -Nietzsche

"We are like shop windows in which we are continually arranging, concealing or illuminating the supposed qualities other ascribe to us - in order to deceive ourselves." - Nietzsche

“ Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” -Plato

"We admit that we are like apes, but we seldom realise that we ARE apes.” - Richard Dawkins

Edited by Mike H on Aug 20, 2007 - 6:40 PM
wazlkick

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 3
#34 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 20, 2007 - 11:28 PM:

" Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."--------Nelson Mandela(I think!) though I believe he quoted it from somebody else, which I cannot findmad. Also quoted by the film Coach Carter
Philoso_Fear
Just Learning

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 1
#35 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 22, 2007 - 9:55 PM:

Three passions have governed my life: 
The longings for love, the search for knowledge, 
And unbearable pity for the suffering of [humankind].

Love brings ecstasy and relieves loneliness. 
In the union of love I have seen 
In a mystic miniature the prefiguring vision 
of the heavens that saints and poets have imagined.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. 
I have wished to understand the hearts of [people]. 
I have wished to know why the stars shine.

Love and knowledge led upwards to the heavens, 
But always pity brought me back to earth; 
Cries of pain reverberated in my heart 
Of children in famine, of victims tortured 
And of old people left helpless. 
I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, 
And I too suffer.

This has been my life; I found it worth living. - Bertrand Russell

radienx000

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 1
#36 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 23, 2007 - 5:29 AM:

Sakyamuni Buddha is my inspiration to become a Righteous Person, thats why I like his quotes. Credit goes to the person who posted these quotes in Brainyquote. P.S: Not sure if all of these are from Buddha himself.

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.

A jug fills drop by drop.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.

All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.

All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?

Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals.

An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.

Ennui has made more gamblers than avarice, more drunkards than thirst, and perhaps as many suicides as despair.

Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.

Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.

He is able who thinks he is able.

He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.

He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?

I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.

I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then beleive them to be true.

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.

Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.

On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.

The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.

The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast.

The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.

The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.

There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.

Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.

To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance.

Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.

Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.

We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.

What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?

What we think, we become.

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.

When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.

Without health life is not life; it is only a state of langour and suffering - an image of death.

Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.

Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.
Postmodern Beatnik
((¬A → B) & (¬A → ¬B) → A

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 26
Total Posts: 1122
#37 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 23, 2007 - 8:59 AM:

Ah, Shakyamuni Buddha. A very wise man indeed. My favorite words of his are these:
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
nod

I think my favorite part is the "accept it and live up to it." Philosophy, to my mind, is not idle.
Bluster

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 36
Total Posts: 9
#38 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 23, 2007 - 4:42 PM:
Subject: Some Mota
A display of specialized skill does not signify possession of spiritual capacity. Cleverness is not a substitute for true character.

Few persons live up to the faith which they really have. Unreasoned fear is a master intellectual fraud practiced upon the evolving mortal soul.

Inherent capacities cannot be exceeded; a pint can never hold a quart. The spirit concept cannot be mechanically forced into the material memory mold.

Few mortals ever dare to draw anything like the sum of personality credits established by the combined ministries of nature and grace. The majority of impoverished souls are truly rich, but they refuse to believe it.

Difficulties may challenge mediocrity and defeat the fearful, but they only stimulate the true children of the Most Highs.

To enjoy privilege without abuse, to have liberty without license, to possess power and steadfastly refuse to use it for self-aggrandizement—these are the marks of high civilization.

Blind and unforeseen accidents do not occur in the cosmos. Neither do the celestial beings assist the lower being who refuses to act upon his light of truth.

Effort does not always produce joy, but there is no happiness without intelligent effort.

Action achieves strength; moderation eventuates in charm.

Righteousness strikes the harmony chords of truth, and the melody vibrates throughout the cosmos, even to the recognition of the Infinite.

The weak indulge in resolutions, but the strong act. Life is but a day's work—do it well. The act is ours; the consequences God's.

The greatest affliction of the cosmos is never to have been afflicted. Mortals only learn wisdom by experiencing tribulation.

Stars are best discerned from the lonely isolation of experiential depths, not from the illuminated and ecstatic mountain tops.

Whet the appetites of your associates for truth; give advice only when it is asked for.

Affectation is the ridiculous effort of the ignorant to appear wise, the attempt of the barren soul to appear rich.

You cannot perceive spiritual truth until you feelingly experience it, and many truths are not really felt except in adversity.

Ambition is dangerous until it is fully socialized. You have not truly acquired any virtue until your acts make you worthy of it.

Impatience is a spirit poison; anger is like a stone hurled into a hornet's nest.

Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come.

Only a poet can discern poetry in the commonplace prose of routine existence.

The high mission of any art is, by its illusions, to foreshadow a higher universe reality, to crystallize the emotions of time into the thought of eternity.

The evolving soul is not made divine by what it does, but by what it strives to do.

Death added nothing to the intellectual possession or to the spiritual endowment, but it did add to the experiential status the consciousness of survival.

The destiny of eternity is determined moment by moment by the achievements of the day by day living. The acts of today are the destiny of tomorrow.

Greatness lies not so much in possessing strength as in making a wise and divine use of such strength.

Knowledge is possessed only by sharing; it is safeguarded by wisdom and socialized by love.

Progress demands development of individuality; mediocrity seeks perpetuation in standardization.

The argumentative defense of any proposition is inversely proportional to the truth contained.

Morontia Mota/Human equivalents.

dreamweaver
Web we Weave

Total Topics: 21
Total Posts: 304
#39 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 13, 2007 - 6:29 PM:

I have always particularly liked Archimedes' quotation on levers:

Dos moi pou sto kai gen kineso (Give me where to stand, and I will move the earth)

..which really highlights the capabilities of man with determination. For similar reasons I love many sentences penned by Pascal, in particular poetic and dramatic ones such as:

From source Pascal's Pensees:
What a chimera, then, is man! what a novelty, what a monster, what a chaos, what a subject of contradiction, what a prodigy! A judge of all things, feeble worm of the earth, depositary of the truth, cloaca of uncertainty and error, the glory and the shame of the universe.

Mariner wrote:

This poem justifies the existence of the Portuguese language.

Nice poem. I know they're not the same but these words remind me (at least the weak English translation) of a passage in Shakespeare which I quite like:

From source R&J:
Love is a smoke rais’d with the fume of sighs;
Being purg’d, a fire sparkling in lovers’ eyes;
Being vex’d, a sea nourish’d with lovers’ tears:
What is it else? a madness most discreet,
A choking gall, and a preserving sweet.

Is this courtly love? smiling face
Gramm
Olde Worlde Skeptic

Total Topics: 237
Total Posts: 435
#40 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 13, 2007 - 8:44 PM:

Thankyou.

Gramm

Edited by Gramm on Sep 14, 2007 - 3:35 AM
Download thread as
  • 86.6/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.