Is there such a thing as destiny?

Is there such a thing as destiny?
probull3t

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 3
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 5, 2009 - 11:40 PM:
Subject: Is there such a thing as destiny?
I have been obsessing over this subject for a long time now and I'm finally seeking a place to vent my frustration.

Is there such a thing as destiny? It seems as though every living thing follows a path of evolution and life, but humans have this power to judge and think about everything we do. This makes me wonder if we really are in control of our own lives. For me, it's 50/50, because sometimes I hope my experiences in life have some meaningful point, but the fact that destiny exists make me wonder what is the point in even being on this plane of existence. In civilization more and more people are told what to do, what to think and what to believe by those that rule us. Destiny is a cold place in the back of my mind that just doesn't make sense. Maybe humans were just a random occurrence of nature and our intelligence is our curse. If our self-awareness is a curse, then what's the point of even being?

Sorry that everything is sort of randomly said. I just wanted to say what was on my mind.

I would be interested in any comments, but this is just my way of trying to let go of some of my worries.

Thanks.

Edited by probull3t on Mar 5, 2009 - 11:49 PM
kkiiji
Aubrey de Grey: a vampire

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 58
Total Posts: 1587
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 1:50 AM:

Heres the way I see it, destiny is something we rationalize AFTER events take place, to actually use the concept upon events that have no taken place yet is rather problematic.

It doesn't matter if things are random or determined, we humans are inherently incapable of knowing the future precisely. The best we can hope for is observe some basic patterns in the unfolding of events, and use that to predict the future in a general sense.

I mean to put it simply, I just don't think it's very fruitful to worry about one's destiny, whether it exists or not. The fact is you don't really know what's going to happen, no one really knows. Theres a sense of dramatic significance when we make sense of what we've accomplished and what evenst have taken place by calling it destiny, but that's the only place the word should be used at.
cyborg
Initiate

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 55
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 2:23 AM:

I agree with the last poster, I think. And also, it's not like there would be a point in life if destiny was a myth, so death here is not even part of the issue, the issue being that life is pointless whatever way you look at it.
reincarnated
the moving finger writes

Total Topics: 47
Total Posts: 107
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 3:31 AM:

Quite a mixture of concepts here.

You ask if there is such a thing as destiny – but first I need to ask “what do you mean by destiny?” (it means different things to different people).

How do you arrive at your figure of 50/50? Is this just a gut feel, or can you rationalise this?

I think its part of the human condition to intuitively “hope” that our lives have purpose, but it does not follow that there is any objective purpose. To me, we each create our own subjective purpose (and meaning) in life through what we value. But even if this is true, why should it follow that either intelligence or self-awareness (these are not the same thing) is a curse? Simply because it allows us to ask questions such as “what is the meaning of it all?” – questions which no other species (to our knowledge) has ever asked?
Tobias
Metaphysical exorcist

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 75
Total Posts: 691
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 5:05 AM:

I agree with the last poster, I think. And also, it's not like there would be a point in life if destiny was a myth, so death here is not even part of the issue, the issue being that life is pointless whatever way you look at it.

Not when I look at it from my persepctive.
probull3t

#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 1:04 PM:

I say 50/50 because no matter the answer I would have mixed feelings about it. I've come to the point in my life where each decision is probably going to have a crucial impact on how my whole life turns out and it's sort of put me in this stall. I'm not afraid to admit I'm scared because I really truly am.
reincarnated
the moving finger writes

Total Topics: 47
Total Posts: 107
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 9:51 PM:

So "mixed feelings" automatically means 50/50? I don't follow the logic there.

I think a lot of us have been in similar positions - when it comes to making decisions which may have a big impact on the rest of one's life. The problem is that we very often cannot predict the future, therefore it can be difficult, almost impossible, to decide which is the best choice. The most we can do is to evaluate the options as best we can, to gather as much information pertaining to these options as possible, and to make a rational assessment of the pros and cons of each option, to assist us in our final decision. The apparent openness or uncertainty of the future can be scary, but in the end we have to trust to our best judgements.
cyborg
Initiate

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 55
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2009 - 9:57 PM:

reincarnated wrote:
So "mixed feelings" automatically means 50/50? I don't follow the logic there.

There's no logic to follow, all he means is it's 50/50 for him, meaning that as far as he can conclude anything, he still does not know which option to believe, and since there are two options, that's 50/50. He's not taking into account any probability, just his gut feeling. He means he has no more reasons to believe one alternative than to believe the other, that's all.
probull3t

#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 7, 2009 - 12:55 AM:

Cyborg gets what I'm saying.
thenorthener

Total Topics: 0
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 7, 2009 - 6:56 PM:

Destiny is an interesting way of putting it. It tends to be used in quite a romantic way, especially in literature and film but what it really describes a much more worrying problem of whether we exert any influence over what we do say or what happens to us. Determinism is an age old concept but with the post enlightenment advances in science and understanding of human biology serious questions have been raised about our status as autonomous beings which can now supposedly be argued from a scientific neurobiological basis. For example a brain scan while eating reveals the release of endorphins which in turn correspond with a feeling of happiness. Similar tests have been done relating to anger sadness and an array of different emotions. If it is simply a combination of the release of chemical triggers and electronic signals travelling through our nervous system and the brain it may seem logical to conclude that the place of free action is in jeopardy. If you concede we are purely earthly beings who do not transcend the physical then it is hard to find a place for free will or choice and as such destiny applies to everything, including us all. However, if you question our state as purely physical beings and allow for something that transcends the physical the outlook is not so gloomy. I'm not angling towards some creator or religious solution (even Thomas Aquinas struggled with the question of how a person can be free if God already knows what you’re going to do, so this doesn't solve any problems) but consider instead the nature of thought. It is neither earthly, physical nor explicable by scientific means. Think of yourself as the God. Your mind as one, of many, who transcend the system and you may find room for freedom and meaning in life.
Download thread as
  • 100/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.