Missing posts / members X
Philosophy Forums was hacked on September 6th. Due to the hacker, everything between July 24th and September 6th is permanently missing. Unfortunately, automated backups had to be turned off months ago because they were crashing the server. We're evaluating how to stop this from happening again. You may be able to find your own posts in a google cache to re-post them, if you want to.

Does luck exist? What is luck?

Does luck exist? What is luck?
Ngodilan
Initiate

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 46
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2011 - 2:11 PM:
Subject: Does luck exist? What is luck?
Yes, the question is already stated, simply as that. Wherever you go, you will hear this term " LUCK " that people use so casually as if it is something real, something substantial. However, as Kant puts it, things that are possible to our experience are supposed to have a cause and effect. However, this "luck" if possible to our experience and causes thing to happen then what causes luck? What is luck really?

Does this question matter?

Have fun guys! grin I love this stuff
keystonelight

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 6
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2011 - 5:22 PM:

I would say that luck does exist, but it has no rhyme or reason and is nothing more than a word that we have attached to a circumstance where success or failure is brought on by chance rather than actions. It exists because things do happen by chance instead of by action/intention. We have simply coined a word for when that happens.

I know a guy whose internship (that was set up by his college, not him himself) led to a successful career at that company. Yes, he did a good job at the internship, but his classmates who could have been matched with that company instead of him but were not may have done just as well too, getting the job in the long run as well. He got "lucky" being paired with that company. They ended up having a position that needed to be filled and so as long as whoever got paired with that company did a good job, they would have gotten the job, luckily. I'm not sure where I was going with this but it is a good example of luck nonetheless--and since it happened, luck does exist. It just cannot be controlled, nor is it a "force" of any type; it's just a word that describes something that can and does happen, like in the story I told. That is luck.
SIR2U
The Wonderor of Why

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 34
Total Posts: 2405
#3 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 2 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 15, 2011 - 5:59 PM:

Of course luck exists, I have had plenty of the bad kind to prove it.
Ngodilan
Initiate

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 46
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2011 - 10:34 PM:

So you guys are all saying that luck exist and luck is somewhat "real" and "natural"? I think it's a man-made concept...
keystonelight

#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2011 - 11:02 PM:

Ngodilan wrote:
So you guys are all saying that luck exist and luck is somewhat "real" and "natural"? I think it's a man-made concept...

I agree that it is a manmade concept, hence why I say luck is just a word for a circumstance that does occur--a manmade word of course. By saying it is not a "force" of any type and cannot it be controlled, I meant the same as you in that it is not "real" or "natural."
SIR2U
The Wonderor of Why

Total Topics: 34
Total Posts: 2405
#6 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 16, 2011 - 5:26 AM:

It's either accept luck or go back to deterimism, you cannot have both.
keystonelight

#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 16, 2011 - 9:51 AM:

SIR2U wrote:
It's either accept luck or go back to deterimism, you cannot have both.

Maybe you can have both, considering how you define luck. I'd say that luck is nothing more than a word that we have attached to a circumstance where success or failure is brought on by chance rather than actions. The "chance" could be a part of determinism. It is called chance because it is unpredictable to us, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't determined by previous events or prior states--we are just unaware of what those prior events/states were. "Luck," to me, just describes that chance, or unawareness of prior events, as working out favorably or unfavorably for the person.

Just one way at looking at it.
stephnlawrnce
PF Addict

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 1289
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 16, 2011 - 10:47 AM:

Ngodilan wrote:
Yes, the question is already stated, simply as that. Wherever you go, you will hear this term " LUCK " that people use so casually as if it is something real, something substantial. However, as Kant puts it, things that are possible to our experience are supposed to have a cause and effect. However, this "luck" if possible to our experience and causes thing to happen then what causes luck? What is luck really?

Does this question matter?

Have fun guys! grin I love this stuff

Yes luck exists and yes it matters.

I think like a lot of words luck refers to more than one thing. The particular thing I say exists is the concept of good or bad luck. Put another way being fortunate or unfortunate.

Let's say there is only one possible future given the way the world was 1,000 years before you were born.

If the way the world was necessitates a good life for you, you are fortunate. If it necessitates a bad life you are unfortunate.

But apart from that, say two people both calculate the best course of action correctly and one, as a result, fairs well and another fairs badly due to a low probability outcome. One would be fortunate and the other unfortunate.

Or lets say two people have options but the best option for one person stinks and for another it's good, one person is fortunate and the other unfortunate.

Stephen

Veritas Vincit
Philosophical Dilettante

Total Topics: 120
Total Posts: 4557
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 16, 2011 - 2:51 PM:

Luck or fortune (good or bad) is a folk-metaphysical concept. It's a way of expressing that one's circumstances are outside the norm; toward the extremes of the normal distribution curve, that is.
2oh3
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 8
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 17, 2011 - 4:12 PM:

i feel that since everything in life is an energy luck is just a form of beneficial energy that flows.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.